4.10-STABLE boot issues

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sat Jun 19 18:39:24 GMT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Brad Waite wrote:

> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Brad Waite wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed 4.10 (and upgraded to 4.10-STABLE) on a 2 x 9GB SCSI
> >> disk
> >> AMI MegaRAID array (RAID0).  I set up slices as I have previously with
> >> 30GB+ IDE drives:
> >>
> >>  1GB    swap
> >> 29GB    /
> >>
> >> Fdisk, label and the rest of install went fine, as did the update, but
> >> on
> >> all reboots (even before the update) I got the following error:
> >>
> >> Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x21fc09f)
> >> No /boot/loader
> >
> > From what you got later, it looks like just /boot/loader got corrupted
> > somehow.  Go into src/sys/boot/i386 in your 4.10-STABLE tree and do 'make
> > depend && make && make install' as root. That should rebuild & reinstall
> > loader.
>
> It's possible but unlikely that loader is corrupted.  I had the same
> problem a few months ago under 4.9.  Plus, I already made world, so that
> should have built a fresh version, but it's doing the same thing as the
> stock 4.10 install.
>
> >> 1.  Created a /boot.config containing "0:da(0,a)/kernel"
> >
> > Make sure you remove this when you get loader rebuilt.
>
> Any critical reason for doing this, other than giving me the options found
> in loader?

loader arranges for the kernel symbols to be relocated properly, so ps and
friends work again. :-)  Otherwise you will get 'no namelist' errors.

> >> To further investigate, I copied /boot/loader to / and changed
> >> /boot.config to '0:da(0,a)/loader' and whaddya know?  It now runs the
> >> BTX
> >> loader properly.
> >>
> >> So what's going on?  Can anyone answer this stumper?
> >
> > Is /boot on /? :-)
>
> Yep.  That's what I can't figure out.  Is boot2 doing something different
> on a non-root directory because I'm on a RAID controller instead of a
> regular ad or da device?
>
> Oh, I just realized that it can't be a corrupt loader - when I moved it to
> / it woke up fine.

Are you __sure__ /boot is on /dev/da0s1a?  You might try booting into
fixit mode from the CDs and running a fsck. I wonder if the directory is
corrupted.

It obviously works for the rest of the world, and it doesn't look like a
BIOS access problem since it can read the file fine if its on /.