4.10-STABLE boot issues

Brad Waite freebsd at wcubed.net
Thu Jun 17 04:05:55 GMT 2004

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Brad Waite wrote:
>
>> I just installed 4.10 (and upgraded to 4.10-STABLE) on a 2 x 9GB SCSI
>> disk
>> AMI MegaRAID array (RAID0).  I set up slices as I have previously with
>> 30GB+ IDE drives:
>>
>>  1GB    swap
>> 29GB    /
>>
>> Fdisk, label and the rest of install went fine, as did the update, but
>> on
>> all reboots (even before the update) I got the following error:
>>
>> Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x21fc09f)
>> No /boot/loader
>
> From what you got later, it looks like just /boot/loader got corrupted
> somehow.  Go into src/sys/boot/i386 in your 4.10-STABLE tree and do 'make
> depend && make && make install' as root. That should rebuild & reinstall
> loader.

It's possible but unlikely that loader is corrupted.  I had the same
problem a few months ago under 4.9.  Plus, I already made world, so that
should have built a fresh version, but it's doing the same thing as the
stock 4.10 install.

>> 1.  Created a /boot.config containing "0:da(0,a)/kernel"
>
> Make sure you remove this when you get loader rebuilt.

Any critical reason for doing this, other than giving me the options found
in loader?

>> To further investigate, I copied /boot/loader to / and changed
>> /boot.config to '0:da(0,a)/loader' and whaddya know?  It now runs the
>> BTX
>> loader properly.
>>
>> So what's going on?  Can anyone answer this stumper?
>
> Is /boot on /? :-)

Yep.  That's what I can't figure out.  Is boot2 doing something different
on a non-root directory because I'm on a RAID controller instead of a
regular ad or da device?

Oh, I just realized that it can't be a corrupt loader - when I moved it to
/ it woke up fine.

I know some assembly, but I can't readily make heads or tails of boot2.
Is that beyond the scope of freebsd-stable?

Thanks again for any help.