NTPD and SecureLevel

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu Jun 17 00:39:16 GMT 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 20:03, Harlan Stenn wrote:

>> ntpd(8) doesn't actually change the time by making it 'jump' to the
>> correct time; it slows down or speeds up the rate at which the timer
>> runs at.
>
> Sometimes ntpd will step (jump) the time.

Yes, I've noticed that as well (it appears in my logs). AFAICT there's
a period of time in which NTPd needs to 'stabilize' and then it slews
the time after that point. It's been a while since I've looked into the
NTP algorithm in detail though.

You may want to ask about it in the Usenet group
comp.protocols.time.ntp for details.