FreeBSD RELENG_4 error?!

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 17:11:17 GMT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:06:04 +0300
"Igor S.Savchyk" <savchyk at list.ru> wrote:

> Hello, All!
>
> For the beginning there is some comparison of behaviour various of OS:
>

> $ echo readable >try_read_me
> $ chmod 0333 try_read_me

[ snip other OS's ]

> $ uname -sr
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
> $ cat try_read_me
> readable

[ snip more OS's ]

> So, whether somebody can explain me behaviour of FreeBSD 4.x ? ;-)

I happen to have an old box around so that I could compare your
test results:

$ uname -sr
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE

$ echo readme > try_read_me
$ chmod 0333 try_read_me
$ cat try_read_me
cat: try_read_me: Permission denied

I can't duplicate the behavior that you are seeing.  It may be
a local issue.  Do the permissions actually end up as:

    --wx-wx-wx  1 rpratt  rpratt  7 Jun 14 13:00 try_read_me

Only root can read that file as the permissions are.  An ordinary
user should not be able to read it.  Are you perhaps testing as
root?

I see the same correct behavior on 4.10-STABLE too.

Best regards,

Randy