keeping my freebsd secure... THANX

Ladislav Bodnar distro.watch at msa.hinet.net
Mon Jun 14 03:32:53 GMT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 07:51, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> what's you're saying is very disturbing... I only moved to FreeBSD
> because debian stable releases a new version once in a long time
> (more

I am in the same situation as you. But I am wondering - what happens if
you just run the installation program from within an existing
installation and update the binary packages to the latest release (say,
your server is running 4.9, but you want to upgrade to 4.10). Is this a
good way of going about upgrading, or am I just completely off my
rocko?

(I know this doesn't address the issue of security fixes, but at least
you could get your PHP up to a newer version).

In all honesty, I don't feel confident about upgrading an entire system
by compiling from sources. Maybe it's because I've been bitten by
upgrade problems on Gentoo, but also because, from whatever little
experience I have with FreeBSD, compiling from sources can fail on
FreeBSD too. My logic dictates that the binary packages provided with a
RELEASE are well-tested, so that everything works together nicely. Why
bother with compiling?

Anybody cares to comment?