Fastforwarding or forwarding?

Stephen L Martin freebsd at jyroscop.cotse.net
Wed Jun 9 10:51:54 GMT 2004

Hi Marco,

Taken from inet(4):

IPCTL_FASTFORWARDING  (ip.fastforwarding) Boolean: enable/disable the use
of fast IP forwarding code.  Defaults to off.  When fast forwarding is
enabled, IP packets are for-warded directly to the appropriate network
inter-face with a minimal validity checking, which greatly improves the
throughput.  On the other hand, they bypass the standard procedures, such
as
IP option processing and ipfirewall(4) checking. It is not guaranteed that
every packet will be fast-forwarded.

I think the bigger issue is that it bypasses firewall checks, so make sure
if you use this, not use it on a firewall.

-SLM