newbie question - users deleted after playing with sysinstall

Haim Ashkenazi haim at babysnakes.org
Tue Jun 8 09:10:36 GMT 2004

Hi

I've just finished install FreeBSD 4.10 for the first time. I'm an
experienced linux user, but have no experience with FreeBSD. after a very
basic installation (only the first step, to get ssh) I've put the computer
at my ISP (of-course everything is blocked by a firewall) and continued
from home. I then installed some packages from the "Distribution" menu,
and "played" with the menus to see what I can configure. today, I couldn't
login to the computer (ssh), and when I checked (I had someone there who
logged in locally) I found out root has no password and the regular
user I created was gone. my question is: could something I've done in
sysinstall delete the user and root password? it's not likely that someone
broke into the system because it's completely blocked (only open from my
IP).

thanx
--
Haim