Viewing SSH Connection

Andreas Carnaily carnaily at softhome.net
Tue Jun 8 05:33:26 GMT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:48:07 -0700, Kyle Mott <kyle at xraided.net> wrote:

> Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to 'view' what another
> person is typing over an SSH terminal?
>
> Essentially, I want a friend to be able to look at what I'm typing
> real-time into the console. We will both be connected to the server via
> SSH. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, this is possible. Nevermind which connection is there, but you need
only /dev/ttyXY
With connand "who" you can get terminal name opened with some user.

Smartster# who
carnaily         ttyv0     7 ÉÀÎ 11:50
carnaily         ttyp0     7 ÉÀÎ 11:50 (:0.0)
carnaily         ttyp1     7 ÉÀÎ 11:50 (:0.0)

Too findout which terminal is opened by you type tty

Smartster# tty
/dev/ttyp8

Here you can see user carnaily have three termonal opened and to grab one
of them
you should command:

watch -W /dev/ttyXY where XY is terminal number you need to watch

and you'll see everything what entered carnaily on ttyv0

There can be problem with file rights access and you can be in one group
to solve this
problem and make group access to your ttys.

You can see error message similar to "can't open snoop device..."
If it was make this:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV snp0
./MAKEDEV snp1
./MAKEDEV snp2
./MAKEDEV snp3

I can be wrong but I thing

options		UCONSOLE

in the kernel configuration should be. :-\ Not sure.