Dell PowerEdge 1600SC Server

Bohdan Tashchuk tashchuk at easystreet.com
Sat Jun 5 05:00:55 GMT 2004

Vivek Khera wrote:

>> You might want to reconsider the PERC controllers offered with that
>> hardware. They (PERC3/SC and PERC4/SC) use the amr (megaraid) driver,
>> and we've had serious stability problems under FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.2.1
>> with that controller
>

> I'll counter this remark with a "works great here".  I have a rack full
> of Dell boxes with various Dell PERC controllers running FreeBSD 4.8 and
> up.  Some are amr devices, and some are aac devices.  All work
> flawlessly under quite substantial loads.

On a Dell 600SC box with SCSI RAID, purchased in May 2003, Dell was
quite anxious to make sure I received new firmware plus new Linux
drivers. So you may check with them for firmware, though obviously the
drivers won't do you any good.

Which brings up an unfortunate situation when running unsupported
software. When Dell updates the Linux driver to fix file corruption
problmes, how do the changes make it into the FreeBSD driver? Usually
the answer is, "they don't".

Also, unfortunately I don't have easy access to the box, but I think
it's running something very similar to PERC3. (PowerEdge RAID controller).