FreeBSD-STABLE

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Jun 4 15:32:17 GMT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 4:15 AM, Sven Hazejager wrote:

> The Athlon PC runs a 4.10 world, built with pentiumpro optimizations.
> If I
> buildworld with pentium optimizations, does that newly built world
> rely on
> any pentiumpro optimized libraries of the Athlon PC base? That would
> surely hose the Pentium PC!

There was a bug a long time ago (probably around 4.1 or 4.2) that would
"leak" some host system binaries into the buildworld targets.  I don't
know if this has been corrected.  I had issues with building the world
for a AMD k5 cpu on a host that had a world optimized for pentiumpro.
When it got around to doing the installworld, some of the utilities it
used from the build tree had the PPRO code that crashed as unknown
instructions on the k5 from some local library that was linked
statically rather than the buildworld target lib being used.
Theoretically this should not happen, but it did.

I now avoid building architecture-specific worlds just to avoid this
situation.  It doesn't seem to enhance any performance.