Experiences with linuxpluginwrapper and -STABLE

James T. McNaughton jtm63 at rcn.com
Fri Jun 4 01:40:50 GMT 2004

Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org> writes:

> Mozilla 1.6:
>
>     Flash - Runs very slowly (guessing ~ 50% of Konqueror speed), no sound

I'm running Mozilla 1.5b, and I've found it hangs when the Flashplugin
tries to output sound. fstat shows that /dev/dsp0.0 is opened by
Mozilla. Other apps can't open it and sometimes hang if they don't
timeout.

>     Acrobat - Acroread process starts but immediately hangs, apparently
>     stuck sleeping waiting for something that never happens.  I also get
>     three instances of:
> 	'linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented'
>     on the console.  Killing the stuck acroread process allows the browser
>     to continue.

With Acroread, I found that it was fine until I clicked with the mouse
on the PDF file; then the acroread process hangs, and so does my
mouse. I had to use keyboard commands to kill acroread in order to get
the mouse back again. So I stopped using it as a plugin.

Those aare my $0.02 FWIW.