Problem with FTP install of 4.10 (Was: Problems with 4.10 and mysql)

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Tue Jun 1 07:07:42 PDT 2004

Hello!

> Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:26:21 +0200
> From:      Jaco van Tonder <jaco at premsoft.co.za>
>
>>report, but ever since upgrading to 4.10 from 4.9 I am
>>having several problems with mysql. These manifest as
>>programs occasionally failing to connect to the database.
>>Unfortunately I have been unable to track this down as yet
>>due to the fact it only happens once in every few hundred
>>attempts, so trying to actually characterise it is proving
>>almost impossible!
>Hmm,
>
>Anyone came up with more info on this issue yet? It is clear that a lot
>of people are experiencing the problems described in this thread.
>(Including me ;))

 I was planning to setup testbox with 4.10-RELEASE and MySQL, but then
I hit against another problem, which seems quite ugly - see my message
in freebsd-net:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=14721+0+current/freebsd-net

It seems that random ephemeral port allocation (which is turned on by default
with net.inet.ip.portrange.randomized=1 in 4.10-RELEASE) actually can hurt
the FTP install (or any other FTP client activity, and maybe in other cases)
despite being said the opposite in the CVS log for src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c
Revision 1.143.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator