ports dependency/INDEX errors on 4.10

Haim Ashkenazi haim at babysnakes.org
Thu Jul 15 02:27:04 PDT 2004

Hi

I tried to upgrade png because of a vulnerability and I had 2 different
errors:

1. when trying to upgrade php 4.3.6 to 4.3.7 I had the follwing error:

--->  Updating dependency info
--->  Uninstallation of php4-4.3.6 started at: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 02:01:15 +0300
--->  Fixing up dependencies before creating a package
--->  Backing up the old version
--->  Uninstalling the old version
Stale dependency: php4-4.3.6 --> apache-1.3.29_3 -- manually run 'pkgdb -F' to f
ix, or specify -O to force.

it seems that php4 requires apache 1.3.29 and I have 1.3.31. this problem
is not new, because I had it 2 weeks ago. it's not that bad because php4
doesn't have vulnerabilities (according to portaudit) right now but one
could be discovered any day...

2. the second problem is that I can't "make index". when I run it, it
doesn't report any error, but when trying to run "portsman" I get an error
that "INDEX file seems to be corrupted or is of an unknown format". the
only way to fix it is to run cvsup, but then the versions I see in
portsman are old.

since I'm only using FreeBSD for a month and I'm not yet familiar with how
things work I'm not sure if the second problem causes the first one, does
the dependencies taken from the INDEX file? how can I create an up-to-date
INDEX file?

any ideas?

thanx
--