problems with RAID0 and Intel/SE7501WV2/Promise

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 4 00:23:13 PDT 2004

> > > I used sysinstall, and disklabel -e to change the partition letters.
> > > The problem appears after several hours of disk usage, and the only
> > > partition in use is h.
> > >
> > whops, rereading the question, here is the correct answer, sorry.
> >
> > I used the bios to define the raid0, stripe, 2 disks.
> > (the menu is 'fool-proof', so i guess i couldn't have made a mistook :-)
>
> OK, so you used the ATA controller's menu to construct the RAID array,
> then used sysinstall to slice the ensuing volume. Hm.  It appears that
> writes to sector 0 are disallowed.  Can you try installing without the
> array defined, to make sure the disks are writable otherwise?

the problem appears after several hours of reading/writing - actually
building a huge postgres database, the partition is h, not even close
to the begining of the disk, and IMHO the kernel/postgres have no reason to
write on fsbn 0 (ad4 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0) in any case.
btw, a similar system is working ok, with the small difference in the size
of the disks, 120GBx2 vs. 200GBx2 RAID0