wierdness with NIS

Rob B robbyrnes at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 25 03:57:01 PST 2004

At 09:32 AM 25/01/2004, Vulpes Velox wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:31:31 -0600
>Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com> wrote:
>
> > I just set up NIS on my lan, but can't get any of the client
> > machines to accept logins using it.
> >
> > On the client machine... /usr/home is exported using NFS. +:::::::::
> > is in master.passwd. +:*:: is in group.
> >
> > I can manage to log in using any user exported by NIS or su to them.
> > The wierd part is that I have no probs getting ypcat and yppasswd to
> > work...
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > btw all machines in question are running 4stable.
>
>Solved it... needed to do a pwd_mkdb master.passwd

I have a similar issue, excepting that I can login fine, just can't su -

Did you run the command on the client or server?

Cheers,
Rob

--
"No man should marry until he has studied anatomy and dissected at least
one woman."

This is random quote 68 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5