MultiThreaded AOLServer under FreeBSD 4.x

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sat Jan 24 13:42:19 PST 2004

The OS is a bit old right now, from Sept 20th -STABLE sources, but ...

I'm getting a weird circumstance with clients running AOLServer and
OpenACS 3.2.5 ... after a few days of running, the process no longer
responds to HTTP requests, and the logs fill up with a whack of 'out of
file descriptor' messages ...

limit on the machine shows I have "descriptors     11095" available ...
and using lsof on one of the processes that as restarted on Thursday shows
that ~424 files opened, out of which there are 388 KQUEUE:

nsd8x   65198 nobody   46u  KQUEUE 0x92599b00                   count=0, state=0
nsd8x   65198 nobody   47u  KQUEUE 0x915d4400                   count=0, state=0
nsd8x   65198 nobody   48u  KQUEUE 0x8fb8b100                   count=0, state=0

Checking another one that has been running longer:

mars# lsof -p 98527 | wc -l
    1046
mars# lsof -p 98527 | grep KQUEUE | wc -l
    1009

What are these KQUEUE files that are open?  Is there a 'leak' maybe, where
they aren't being closed properly?

Checking another server, with -STABLE current to Jan 6th, there still
shows >90% of files opened being these KQUEUEs:

neptune# lsof -p 84915 | wc -l
     456
neptune# lsof -p 84915 | grep KQUEUE | wc -l
     420

Thoughts?

----