correct way to cvsup ports for -stable

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jan 23 06:44:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 03:29:44PM +0100, Jozef Babjak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A similar topic has been disscused here several days ago, but I still don't
> understand, how correctly update ports tree via cvsup. I have installed
> 4.9-release. I upgraded to -stable according to
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile (I have changed only '*default
> host=...' line, all rest I kept untouched) and I done make world and kernel...
> I understand well how to upgrade system, but my questions about ports are:
>
> 1) Is it ok to upgrade ports, or do I have keep ports instaled from -release CD?

It is certainly OK, I would even recommend it.

> 2) If I should upgrade ports, how exactly? Which file from examples I should use
> and how I need to modify it? There is nothing about ports upgrade in
> stable-supfile and ports-supfile deals about -current. Is it enough to use
> cvs-supfile from examples directory, change a cvsup server and comment out
> 'doc-all' and 'cvsroot-all', isn't it?

Start from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile  change the cvsup
server to use, and you should be ready to go.
Ignore the references to -current in that file. The ports tree and
upgrade procedure is identical between -stable and -current.

The cvs-supfile example file is for when you want to get a local copy
of the whole CVS repository, and not just the latest files.
That can be very useful in some circumstances, but I don't think that
is what you want or need at the moment.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson