Where are defaults for kernel variables?

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jan 21 03:38:00 PST 2004

Uwe Doering <gemini at geminix.org> writes:
> Jozef Babjak wrote:
> > options PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201
> > or options KVA_PAGES=260
> > but are these default values?
> No, these are usually not the defaults, just examples.  I haven't
> found a complete list so far.  I could be wrong, but I think part of
> the problem is that the majority of kernel developers doesn't feel
> obligated to document the variables they introduced somewhere outside
> the kernel.

The defaults are generally computed at boot time as a function of
physical memory size.

KVA_PAGES is special, though, because it controls the size of the
kernel virtual address space, and you can't change it without also
changing the linker script and some loader settings.  This is
documented in the FAQ.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no