Odd lag/hanging issue with production ftp server - Please help AS AP!

Elliott Freis efreis at opentable.com
Sat Jan 17 14:26:29 PST 2004

I am forwarding this to this list per recommendation.

Note on recent test:  Trying to do a transfer on the public LAN off the ftp
server, I am only able to get a bursty 20k/s! down from the ftp server.
This was with nfs completely unmounted, ftping from a local drive so its not
an NFS problem.  It should get a full 2-3mb a sec at least.  It used to.  Up
is still full speed.  The machine has a Intel pro NIC, direct to a Cisco
ArrowPoint.  Both are set to 100 FD.  ifconfig_fxp2="inet 66.151.XXX.XXX
netmask 255.255.255.224 media 100baseTX"

Any help GREATLY appreciated, I have exhausted all avenues I can think of,
including hardware swaps.  Here is some diag:

last pid: 49903;  load averages:  0.12,  0.20,  0.25
up 0+15:19:19  14:19:00
73 processes:  1 running, 72 sleeping
CPU states:  1.4% user,  0.0% nice, 17.1% system,  2.3% interrupt, 79.2%
idle
Mem: 24M Active, 1233M Inact, 178M Wired, 68M Cache, 163M Buf, 3600K Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 12K Used, 1024M Free

353/17120/262144 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        271 mbufs allocated to data
        82 mbufs allocated to packet headers
213/16806/65536 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
37892 Kbytes allocated to network (19% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
fxp2  1500  <Link#3>    00:02:a5:13:fc:b5 30214691     0 22672636     0
589096
fxp2  1500  66.151.XXX.XXX	ftp             30150589     - 22683851
-     -
fxp2  1500  fe80:3::202 fe80:3::202:a5ff:        0     -        0     -
-