ports sup tag (was: Re: )

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jan 16 06:03:58 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 03:03:06PM +0200, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

> > >  Umm... What exactly is negative impact of using, for example,
> > > tag=RELEASE_5_2_0 for getting ports collection which came with 5.2-RELEASE
> > > via CVSup?
> >
> > None. But if you want the snap-shot of 5.2R's ports why cvsup ? The
> > cvsup will get you nothing.
>
>  Then please tell me how can I get ports tree at the moment of tagging?
> Pre-release code freeze for 5.2 has been done in December, while 5.2-RELEASE
> has been available since only 12th of January. Where can I get this ports
> collection in the interim? As you know, distfiles for some ports have a bad
> habit of disappearing from the Net, so this delay is essential for me.

If you really want the ports tree that is included with 5.2-RELEASE,
then, yes, you can cvsup using tag=RELEASE_5_2_0, just as you surmise.
As long as you are aware that once the release has been officially
announced (as it has been) this is a static target and that if you
cvsup a second time you will get exactly the same as the first time,
then there is no problem with this approach.

(I don't quite understand *why* you want do that (and from the sounds
of it, most people who have answered in this thread don't understand it
either) but I will assume that you do have some good reason for wanting
the exact ports tree that is included with 5.2-RELEASE.)

>  BTW, if small but critical errors (such as different typos which happen time
> to time) found in ports tree between the tagging and release announcement,
> I'm sure that they will be corrected in RELEASE_x_y_z also, won't them?

Between the time of the original tagging and the release announcement
it does happen from time to time that the tag is slid forward on a few
ports if changes has been made after the tagging that need to be
included with the release.  Once the release announcement has been made
no further changes to RELEASE_x_y_z will be made.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se