ports sup tag (was: Re: )

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Fri Jan 16 05:06:09 PST 2004

Hello!

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > > Users should not use tags for ports collection. It's
> > > documentated also.
> >
> >  Umm... What exactly is negative impact of using, for example,
> > tag=RELEASE_5_2_0 for getting ports collection which came with 5.2-RELEASE
> > via CVSup?
>
> None. But if you want the snap-shot of 5.2R's ports why cvsup ? The
> cvsup will get you nothing.

 Then please tell me how can I get ports tree at the moment of tagging?
Pre-release code freeze for 5.2 has been done in December, while 5.2-RELEASE
has been available since only 12th of January. Where can I get this ports
collection in the interim? As you know, distfiles for some ports have a bad
habit of disappearing from the Net, so this delay is essential for me.

 BTW, if small but critical errors (such as different typos which happen time
to time) found in ports tree between the tagging and release announcement,
I'm sure that they will be corrected in RELEASE_x_y_z also, won't them?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua