/kernel: ipfw: pullup failed

Rob B robbyrnes at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 14 01:56:52 PST 2004

At 02:19 AM 14/01/2004, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>for last couple of hours I've encountered random TCP packets drops (most
>visible as ssh sessions lockups) and random kernel messages about "pullup
>failed"
>
>marck at gw-f:~> netstat -m
>1051/1584/32768 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>         1050 mbufs allocated to data
>         1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>1047/1582/16384 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>3560 Kbytes allocated to network (8% of mb_map in use)
>0 requests for memory denied
>0 requests for memory delayed
>0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
>Quick googling shows me
>http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg10291.html which
>has not
>been answered by luigi

I've seen this happening as well, since you don't appeaer to be low on
mbufs ...

(from the ipfw man page:)

"There are circumstances where fragmented datagrams are uncondition-
ally dropped.  TCP packets are dropped if they do not contain at
least 20 bytes of TCP header, UDP packets are dropped if they do not
contain a full 8 byte UDP header, and ICMP packets are dropped if
they do not contain 4 bytes of ICMP header, enough to specify the
ICMP type, code, and checksum.  These packets are simply logged as
``pullup failed'' since there may not be enough good data in the
packet to produce a meaningful log entry."

Cheers,
Rob

--
He lived in such a low room he could only eat pancakes.

This is random quote 549 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5