Install bug - 4.9 stable - post install circular reboot

Martin Smith martin at rakupottery.org.uk
Tue Jan 13 14:08:24 PST 2004

> On Tuesday 17 April 2018 2:10 pm, Kevin Berrien wrote:
>
> Please don't cross post, it's confusing.
>
> > I can confirm an issue posted Dec 3rd, freebsd-stable maillist, titled
> > "4.9 install buglet".
> >
> > I experience this bug running the install (various configurations) 100%
> > of the time.  After install, after system reboot, the boot loader comes
> > up with F1: FreeBSD, and reboots continually forever.  To test, I made 3
> > installs without issue using 4.8.  So first, I'd like to confirm the bug
> > report, and ask the following.
> >
> > In his "buglet" post, Ian noted the following work around.
> >
> > > Work around.  Force write in label screen (or rewrite MBR
> > > and label post reboot)
> >
> > Looking at fdisk, and the label utility I see nothing option along these
> > lines.  Could someone explain to me what/how to do this?
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this apparently prevalent issue?
>
> Clearly this is not prevalent. If the majority of installs showed this problem
> there would be more than one previous post, or at least a reply. Or to put it
> another way. If it's prevalent, why ask if anyone else has seen it? Perhaps
> you meant something else.
>
> There must be something specific to the hardware and/or the installation
> method that causes this to happen to us (only). This is why I called it a
> buglet rather than a bug.

What a coincidence I might say as yesterday I installed 4.9-R on QDI P61440BX/BIS(Intel BX chipset) mobo and got exactly the same thing, except I had chosen the second install a standard bootsector? which is what I normally choose, machine passed through bios just fine after installation, then immediate reboot after "updated ESCD successfully...", round and round in circles, I thought I had a hardware problem, the machine was gift and is destined to be a small samba server for one of the NGO's that I support. This is incidentally the 4th machine I have put 4.9 on in as many weeks, and is the first install I have ever had any problem with since 2.2.6. I followed the advice to reinsert the boot cd and go back to fdisk and press w, it worked perfectly when rebooted the next time.
--
Martin Smith