-STABLE Won't Boot On A Multidisk System

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Jan 12 14:42:44 PST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Cy Schubert wrote:

> I have a system which usually runs a recent copy of -CURRENT. I have one
> ATA disk and four SCSI disks in this system. My -CURRENT root device is
> /dev/ad0s1a while my -STABLE (4.9R) boot device is /dev/da1s1a. No problems
> booting -CURRENT however I haven't used my -STABLE system in a while and as
> I need to do some testing on it, I tried booting it this morning. It
> responded with a "Root mount failed:22" message.

Error 22 is EINVAL.  Which disk did you get loader off of?

My first shot at this would be that somehow a -stable kernel is trying to
mount a ufs2 filesystem, but everything *seems* to be in order.

Are you using boot0?

I have a machine with 2 ide disks and boot0 that seems to keep everything
straight. Combined IDE/SCSI systems can be a bit tempermental.