[freebsd-stable] Re: Macromedia FLASH ...

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 21:38:50 PST 2004

I don't run firefox, but I have java (java/jdk14) working just fine with
Mozilla (my preferred browser), Galeon, and Opera.  I'm running a very
recently built 4.9-STABLE and I use cvsup and portupgrade to keep all my
ports closely syncronized.  Since firebird/firefox uses Gecko, I'm
pretty sure that it should work.  However, there are a few gotchas:

1) there has been a recent change of gettext from 12.x to 13.x, and my
experience is that bad things usually happen if there's a clash between
gettext versions in two or more applications (when one app was built
with the older version and another was built with a more recent version);

2) other library changes can also have subtle effects;

3) the more your system diverts from the ports tree (with patches or
installations not in the tree), the more difficult it is going to be to
isolate your problem

4) sysutils/portupgrade is your friend.  If you aren't using it, you
should . . .
NOTE:  I've never heard of deleting javavmwrapper (mine is as installed);

I'm no expert, I just maintain a few ports.

jmc