Macromedia FLASH ...

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 19:51:24 PST 2004

Sidnei Rodrigo Basei wrote:
> Hi All
>
> First:
> I want install the flash player in my FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE .. I use the
> Opera 7.23 build 518... I was installed by ports.. but this plugin is
> too old.... I want install a new Flash-plugin in my new FreeBSD
> installation... anyone have any idea???

The best bet I've found is to install the linuxpluginwrapper port, but
you'll need a recently compiled 4.9-STABLE world/kernel to make it work.

> Secound:
> i have installed the j2sdk 1.4.1_07 in /usr/local/j2sdk directory
> ($JAVA_HOME) ... but i can't access sites witch java applications...
>
> I've only this 2 problems to exclude the WINDOWS from my LIVE ...
> (Oops... maybe the vpn client too ... :P )

It's apparent that you've installed Java other than with a port.  There
are several problems with this:

1) native applications don't operate too well with Linux Java (and vice
versa);

2) neither the files nor the symlinks are installed where FreeBSD and
native apps expect them to be;

3) Opera probably can't even find the Java plugin as a result.

> Thank You..

Moral of the story . . . "use the ports Luke!"  They're there for a reason.

jmc