rndcontrol doesn't work on -STABLE?

Gregory Neil Shapiro gshapiro at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 21 21:47:30 PST 2004

> Following instructions I found on the web to deal with rndc issues, I
> tried to sent entropy by doing the following:
> da4 at ahd1 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> neptune# rndcontrol -s 17
> rndcontrol: setting irq 17
> rndcontrol: rndcontrol: Invalid argument

I found this comment in src/sys/i386/i386/mem.c:

        /*
         * XXX the data is 16-bit due to a historical botch, so we use
         * magic 16's instead of ICU_LEN and can't support 24 interrupts
         * under SMP.

This is right before the code that checks the irq:

                if (intr < 0 || intr >= 16)
                        return (EINVAL);

I doubt this will be changed as it is gone in 5.X (thanks to the new
entropy gathering in -CURRENT).