next release

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Fri Feb 13 06:11:44 PST 2004

Hello!

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:15:51 -0800, Dave Tweten <tweten at nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
> oberman at es.net said:
>>Now you see why I recommend that people wait for a month after a release
>>to update and to do it to STABLE, not release.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm surprised your truth was accepted as calmly
> as it was.  When I offered the same suggestion a few years ago I was
> thoroughly flamed.

 I think that not many developers read stable@ anymore, because development
process is focused on CURRENT these days. So relative calmness is quite
expected by me ;) In my opinion, RELENG_4_x is more preferrable for the use
in production environment, because new features (and associated bugs) may
come into the STABLE just after the end of the freeze (not waiting for the
one month after it). The only exceptions are serious bugs like broken fxp
driver in 4.7-RELEASE, but I think that it's better to fix those local
bugs using the local patches than to export new possible bugs from the STABLE.
The only problem that I see in this approach is that one must reapply all
local patches after CVSupping sources (possibly modifying them according to
the changes in RELENG_4_x).

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator