SErial remote control for a FreeBSD-stable based HTPC?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 11 08:59:35 PST 2004

Hello.

I am building myself a Home Theather PC (HTPC), multimedia PC or
whatever you like to call it. The goal is to be able to replace my video
machine and standalone DVD player, and maybe gain the ability to play
mp3 files as well. I am using FreeBSD 4.9-stable as the operating
system. Currently, the machine has TV out (untested, but expected to
work), a Pinnacle PCTV (pro) tv card (to view and record TV programs)
which works with fxtv at least.

This HTPC needs a remote control, and one was bundled with the Pinnacle
card. This is a normal remote control, and the receiver connects to
a serial port.
According to their website, LIRC (http://www.lirc.org/) supports this
remote control. Unfortunately, the LIRC port
(http://www.freshports.org/comms/lirc/) doesn't include *any* device
drivers (no, not even a serial one).

Has anybody found a way to make this (or any other remote control with a
serial receiver) work under FreeBSD stable? In that case, please tell me
how.

I even tried to use libirman (and the included test programs), but I
guess this remote receiver isn't compatible with that. Does anybody know
the hardware layout of this receiver? Ie. how it is connected to the
serial port? If I knew how the hardware is connected I culd take a shot
at making a driver myself (even if I haven't made a driver under FreeBSD
before).

Any hints appreciated.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,