dual ( HP ProLiant ML350 ) kernel config ?

Nelis Lamprecht nelis at 8ball.co.za
Tue Feb 10 00:46:26 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 10:34, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Nelis Lamprecht <nelis at 8ball.co.za> writes:
> > I am trying to build a SMP kernel ( FreeBSD 4.9 ) on our new dual Xeon
> > 2.8ghz HP server.
> > Although I've been using FreeBSD for many years this is my first SMP
> > machine and I'm not having any luck.
>
> You'd probably have more luck with 5.2 or CURRENT.
>
> Note however that ProLiants are very temperamental machines, and you
> need to be very careful with your BIOS settings (particularly if you
> have any PCI devices in the system that weren't in it when it shipped
> from HP)
>
> > I can't recall the exact error but the machine boots up and then throws
> > out a bunch of errors relating to IOAPIC programming before it freezes.
>
> There's nothing we can do without the specific error messages.

I tried again to compile the kernel this time I've written down the
error:

Avail Memory = ...
Changing APIC IO for IO APIC #0 from 0 to 2 on chip
Changing APIC IO for IO APIC #1 from 0 to 3 on chip
Changing APIC IO for IO APIC #2 from 0 to 4 on chip
Changing APIC IO for IO APIC #3 from 0 to 5 on chip
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #1
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #2
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #3

and that is where it freezes.