Problems upgrading from 4.1.1 to 4_9_RELENG

Clint Gilders techservices at onlinehobbyist.com
Mon Feb 9 10:31:58 PST 2004

Sven Willenberger wrote:
> I managed to upgrade a 4.1 box to 4.9-stable by doing it in steps:
>
> First cvsup'ed RELENG_4_3, make buildworld, make buildkernel,
> installkernel, reboot, installworld .....
>
> then I cvsup'ed to RELENG_4_6 and did the same
> then I cvsup'ed to RELENG_4_9 and successfully completed the upgrade. A
> little bit of a long process and if you can get by doing a fresh install
> rather than trying to upgrade it would probably be quicker ... but
> upgrading did work in steps for me.

I had a 4.3 server which couldn't compile STABLE and I found the same advice online.  I
upgraded my 4.3-RELEASE to 4-STABLE by going to 4.6 -> 4.8 -> 4.9 -> STABLE.   Those steps
all went smoothly.  I wish a fresh install had been an option but....
--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>
Director of Technology Services