SSH strangeness on 4.9

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Sat Feb 7 22:17:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 18:57, Doug White wrote:
> > What was really weird was this though: I'm in Gnome2, open a
> > gnome-terminal and SSH into a box (done through a launcher but same
> > thing happens when done by hand). All is well until I exit the SSH
> > session. The window closes as it's supposed to. However, the SSH
> > instance is still running and visible in ps. Since I use SSH heavily
> > (through launchers, one for each server), after about a days worth of
> > work and I had a clean desktop, yet the process list was cluttered with
> > SSH sessions. This never happened with 4.8.
>

> If they aren't zombies, do ps axl and grab the wchan.  That will show what
> they are waiting for.

The wchan is "select" and the status is "Is+". After an attempt to kill
it, it switches to "ttywait" and SEs+, then after a second or so to
"IEs+"

Exiting the Gnome sessions doesn't help. But it seems that I was wrong
about using exit though. I just up'ed to 4.9 again, and "exit" from that
gnome-terminal based ssh session causes the process to disappear.
However, just closing the Window leaves the process hanging.

Here a matrix:
1) ssh launched through a Launcher, closing window. -> ssh process hangs
2) ssh launched through a Launcher, typing exit -> ssh process
disappears.
3) gnome-terminal lauched by Launcher, starting ssh by hand, then just
closing window -> ssh process disappears as well.
4) created a new launcher with " sh -c 'ssh blah' ", started then closed
window -> now even sh hangs around with WCHAN "wait" and status "Is+".
ssh is "select" and "I+". Killing sh does cause the launched sh AND ssh
to disappear.

Rolling BSD back to 4.8 causes everything to behave normally. Either
there is something different in the way processes are handled, or
perhaps in ssh.

Regards,
Frank