FreeBSD 4.9 ifconfig paralysing interface

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Sat Feb 7 00:02:14 PST 2004

"Eli K. Breen" <eli at gopostal.ca> probably said:
> Using ifconfig to bring down my network interface, adding an IP alias,
> and bringing this interface back up causes the non-aliased IP to cease
> to be pingable and is effectively dead (no ping, ftp, ssh etc), until
> this interface is brought down and up again.

> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.98.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.98.255
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>         inet6 fe80::2d0:b7ff:fe5a:cb7e%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
>         inet 192.168.98.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.98.255
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>         ether 00:d0:b7:5a:cb:7e
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active

`man ifconfig`;

     alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  This
             is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes
             to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the address
             is on the same subnet as the first network address for this
             interface, a non-conflicting netmask must be given.  Usually
             0xffffffff is most appropriate.

P.

--
pir