SSH strangeness on 4.9

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Thu Feb 5 16:16:50 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 18:57, Doug White wrote:
> What is the process status at this point? If its Z, its a zombie, and its
> a bug in gnome-terminal or notwhat in not properly reaping children.
> Zombies aren't killable so that makes sense.

Doug,

I don't recall the status, but I don't think it was a zombie. I'm
hesitant to blame gnome-term since that wasn't recompiled. Everything
works on 4.8. Changed supfiles, cvsup'ed, made kernel and world, and
voila, ssh sessions hang (didn't touch gnome). Change supfiles back,
cvsup again (or cvsdown, whichever way you look at it :), remade kernel
and world, and ssh session work as usual.

> The acid test would be to see if they all go away if you log out of your
> gnome session.

I think I tried that, but don't remember (yeah, yeah, what *do* I
remember...). I'm reasonable sure that I went out of Gnome and even
stopped X, and those suckers were still around.

> If they aren't zombies, do ps axl and grab the wchan.  That will show what
> they are waiting for.

Will do. I have some time this weekend and will try again, checking on
the wchan. I'll keep the list posted.

Later,
Frank