SSH strangeness on 4.9

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Feb 2 16:57:18 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Frank Knobbe wrote:

> What was really weird was this though: I'm in Gnome2, open a
> gnome-terminal and SSH into a box (done through a launcher but same
> thing happens when done by hand). All is well until I exit the SSH
> session. The window closes as it's supposed to. However, the SSH
> instance is still running and visible in ps. Since I use SSH heavily
> (through launchers, one for each server), after about a days worth of
> work and I had a clean desktop, yet the process list was cluttered with
> SSH sessions. This never happened with 4.8.

What is the process status at this point? If its Z, its a zombie, and its
a bug in gnome-terminal or notwhat in not properly reaping children.
Zombies aren't killable so that makes sense.

The acid test would be to see if they all go away if you log out of your
gnome session.

If they aren't zombies, do ps axl and grab the wchan.  That will show what
they are waiting for.