4.9-R on IBM xSeries 305 or Dell PowerEdge 650?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Feb 2 16:04:32 PST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> On my x335's I've found:
>
> a. I needed to disable ACPI too.

I'd generally like to leave it on for the temperature monitoring, but you
do what you can. I looked at the DSDT briefly and think there was a
potential ordering issue between the floppy disk drive and the keyboard
resources ... the init method for the floppy twiddles an enable bit the
other ISA/LPC devices all look at when building _CRS.  Since we decided to
not buy any more IBMs (due to QA issues... don't seem to understand how to
jumper ATA drives) I haven't looked at it any further.

> b. On 5.1 I needed to step down the number of open tags (camcontrol
> tags) to 32 or less to prevent the whole thing from locking up.

Heh -- I thought all the x335s were ATA.  The x345 didn't look like a
different mainboard.  You are in a twisty maze of IBM part and config
numbers, all different... :)

> c. On 4.9 I needed to not enable the HTT "processors" or I got sluggish
> performance.  The real SMP processors work fine.

I haven't tried putting -stable on it.  Sounds like your workload is
one of those that isn't HT-happy, unless you mean general operation.