RELENG_4: Problems with mpt driver

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Feb 2 14:49:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Matti Saarinen wrote:

> I have IBM x345 which has integrated LSI 1030 raid controller. I don't
> know if the problem is in the driver or do I have malfunctioning
> hardware. Many times but not all, when the system boots the console
> output contains almost denumerable number of the following lines:
>
> mpt0:   EvtLogData: Event Data:mpt0:   05020012mpt0:
> mpt0:   EvtLogData: IOCLogInfo: 0x110a0000
> mpt0:   EvtLogData: Event Data:mpt0:   05020012mpt0:
> mpt0:   EvtLogData: IOCLogInfo: 0x110a0000
>

> At the same time the activity leds of the disks da9 and da10 are
> contantly lit.

Not sure the events are related, but it does appear that you have the mpt
driver's debugging enabled. Have you been booting with -v, or have the
mpt_debug kernel environment variable set in loader.conf, or setting
something in sysctl.conf?

The lights-on thing would seem to be some sort of bus freeze, like a BDR
from a device.  Since you're using a disk enclosure, is it reporting any
problems accessing any of its disks?  perhaps there's a bad cable or
device going down in the enclosure?

I have an x335 here, which is the ATA version of the x345, yet the MPT is
still on the board. I plugged it into a couple of disks for testing and it
worked, except if I enabled the Integrated Mirroring (IM) which requires
OS support.