VIA OnBoard NIC problems

Tuomo Latto djv at mbnet.fi
Sun Feb 1 17:13:59 PST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:34:49 CET, arba at internet.sk <arba at internet.sk> wrote:
> Hi everybody..
> I have problem with onboard NIC on VIA EPIA Mini ITX mainboard 5000
> series.
> Also if i use the machine as samba server with 6 clients and havy
> traffic, the samba
> hangs after 10-30 min.
>
> If I use other PCI NIC
> fxp0: <Intel 82557 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xec00-0xec1f mem
> 0xe4000000-0xe40ffff
> f,0xe4101000-0xe4101fff irq 15 at device 20.0 on pci0
> ewerything is OK.
>
> But I NEED this PCI slot (there is only one) for another card (SCSI).

I have an M9000. I had a similar problem using the mainboards own
interface. Basically every fifteenth ping didn't go through,
if my memory serves me right. Anyway, the problem made the interface
completely useless as no data would go through.
I, too, needed the only PCI slot.

My problem was solved when I upgraded the BIOS, which was not that
much fun as I don't have a floppy drive on the machine.
Nero Burning ROM on a Windows machine along with a couple of
websites about bootable CDs (found them with search engines)
helped me quite a bit with this problem.

Then again, I only use the interface for my DSL connection so the amount
of traffic at maximum is not that much. Unfortunately, this incident has
given me a rather not-that-nice a picture of these interfaces.

Hope you get the interface working,

--
Tuomo