Memory handling problem with FreeBSD 5.3?

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at technokratis.com
Thu Dec 30 10:11:20 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:41:27AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Christian R. wrote:
> >On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:02:16 +0100, you wrote:
> >

> >>Would the AMD64 version of FreeBSD 5.3 be a better choice?
> >

> >I have now installed the AMD64 version on the server. It has been
> >running stable now for some hours with alot of load and all the 6 GB
> >activated. It seems to be a problem with the i386 version og FreeBSD
> >5.3.
> >

> i386 and amd64 have the exact same code for handling the needs of the
> amr driver.  I'm a bit worried that one works for you while the other
> doesn't; I extensively tested the code on both platforms with 8GB of
> RAM.
>
> Scott

  Maybe I missed something in this thread, but what does it have to do
  with the amr driver?  The first thing that came to mind was something
  with PAE and how it affects PDE modifications.

  On i386, it might be worth trying these combinations:

  1. SMP, NO PAE.
  2. UP, PAE.
  3. UP, NO PAE.

  As we already know that "SMP, PAE" for you has problems.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic at technokratis.com
bmilekic at FreeBSD.org