Recent CPUTYPE changes breaking kernel on Centrino

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Thu Dec 23 16:00:59 PST 2004

Hi list,

I posted this question a few days ago, but it got lost in a thread I fear.

With the recent changes to bsd.cpu.mk, the setting "CPUTYPE=pentium-m"
in make.conf now gets picked up and leads to GCC flags being set
accordingly. Unfortunately, something gets enabled that the Pentium M
(actually a P3 with some additional features) does not support. What
happens then is that a newly built world works just fine, while the
kernel does not even boot. Both the boot loader and the kernel itself
cause instant reboots at startup.

I'm wondering if somebody knowledgeable with the GCC flags for a P3
would have a clue which flag or feature it is that could be triggering this.

- Bartosz