5.3R crashing repeateadly

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Dec 8 16:34:43 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:21:24PM -0200, Cristóvão Dalla Costa wrote:
> I just installed 5.3 RELEASE on a new server today and everytime I try
> to compile someting for more than five minutes it crashes.

This sounds like hardware, but it could be a bug related to your
particular system.  Do you get there errors if you boot with ACPI
disabled?  What about with SMP disabled?

> The message it said in the console is something like "page fault while
> in kernel mode", excuse-me if I don't remember it verbatim but I just
> drove home from the datacenter and it crashed again.

You'll need to get a debug kernel and produce a traceback for us to have
any chance of doing anything for you.  See the kernel debugging chapter
of the Developers Handbook for info:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

> Furthermore, what sort of reliability can I expect from this server?
> It's 10:30 pm and I'm driving to the datacenter to push the reset button
> for the third time.

Until we know what's wrong we can't possiably answer that question.  A
number of systems running 5.3 are in production and stable, but it's a
new release.

-- Brooks