DMA errors with SATA on 5.x

Tim Welch freebsd-stable at thepentagon.org
Mon Dec 6 22:04:20 PST 2004

I'm getting NID not found/DMA errors on 5-STABLE with a Seagate 200gb sata
drive:

ad2: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=268435455

This appears to be a result of 48-bit addressing. Any time a write is
attempted to the sector above, I get multiple messages like this. It
continues until I shut down. After a bit of googling I found this post:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2004-October/008821.html

and applied the change suggested. It seems to have fixed the problem, and
I've had no troubles from this since Nov. 18th when I applied that patch.
I'm running an Intel 875PBZ board with the ich5 controller. The drive in
question is a Seagate ST3200822AS/3.01 (as reported by dmesg). So the
question is, will this patch be committed anytime soon?

uname -a:
FreeBSD mercury 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon Dec  6 21:51:28 CST
2004 root at mercury:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/mercury  i386

Thanks,
Tim