'whereis portname' behaviour changed from 4.X to 5.X ?

Andrew Konstantinov abkonstantinov at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 21:52:08 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 02:23:13PM +0900, Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I search a port with 'whereis', I get different results
> on my 4.10 and 5.3 systems. For example
>
> 4.10 $ whereis lyx
> /usr/ports/print/lyx /usr/ports/japanese/lyx
>
> 5.3 $ whereis lyx
> /usr/ports/japanese/lyx
>

> Why this difference?
> On both systems /usr/ports/print/lyx exists.
>
> Similar cases are there with other ports.
> The result on 5.3 is rather confusing.

Hmm. Weird.

> uname -rs
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2
> ls /usr/ports/japanese/lyx
Makefile        distinfo        files           pkg-descr       pkg-plist
> ls /usr/ports/print/lyx
Makefile        distinfo        pkg-descr       pkg-plist
> whereis lyx
lyx: /usr/ports/print/lyx

In case if it's important, I used to have a refuse file for cvsup which refused
any languages I don't speak, but not any more.

Andrew