Was: Re: Making a data DVD with 4.10 and dvd+rw-format

Godwin Stewart gstewart at bonivet.net
Fri Dec 3 04:31:12 PST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:17:49 +0100, Stein Morten Sandbech <stein at ife.no>
wrote:

> My only problem are when an operation on the unit fails, the
> /dev/cd0 device disappears, and a mknod  to recreate the device
> doesn't work either.
>
> The most recent causes have been using cdda2wav.
>
> As of now, it gets reestablished only after a reboot.

This kind of thing will often happen on a device that's having difficulty
reading the media - either because the media's physical characteristics are
close to or outside the tolerance required, or because the drive has a
problem such as a dirty or tired optical block.

More often than not, the drive will perform an internel reset and attempt to
resume reading where it lost track, but sometimes it gets thrown into limbo
and the only way to resume operation is to perform a hard reset, hence devfs
seeing that the drive is offline and the need to reboot the box.

I don't know of any silver bullet to prevent this. I've generally resorted
to ripping the audio data on another box and scp/ftp'ing the data over.

BTW, cdparanoia is less problematic than cdda2wav IME.

G. Stewart - gstewart at bonivet.net

BOFH excuse #210:

We didn't pay the Internet bill and it's been cut off.