4.10 -> 5.3 migration; what happens to vinum volumes?

Lukas Ertl lukas.ertl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:38:39 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:58:36 +0000, Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net> wrote:

> I have a 4.10-STABLE machine that I want to migrate to 5.3-STABLE.  Most
> of the bases are covered, but I'm not sure what to expect for my vinum
> volumes.  I don't have anything esoteric (see attached config), but can
> I just expect "sed -i.bak -e 's/vinum/gvinum/' /etc/fstab" to leave me
> with working volumes?

Hi Ceri,

sorry for the late reply, I don't follow stable@ directly, so if
there's any vinum question, please add a cc: to <le at freebsd.org>
(those messages will get highlighted so I have a chance to notice them
earlier).

Your config looks sane enough that it shouldn't be a problem to switch
to gvinum.  Edit your fstab and put

geom_vinum_load="YES"

into /boot/loader.conf, that's enough.

cheers,