on supported builds and make errors (was: Re: cannot install -STABLE world on 5.2.1 via NFS)

Joan Picanyol lists-bsd-stable at biaix.org
Wed Dec 1 09:34:25 PST 2004

* Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> [20041129 12:20]:

> Error 127 = command not found

Where are all these defined? Can't find them in make(1) nor "Pmake - A
Tutorial" nor /usr/share/mk/.

> ache will probably chime in here shortly to say that this is not a
> supported configuration (where the build and install target machines are
> not the same release level).

Is there a list of (un)supported configurations? What I gather is that
one of the following must be true:

1.- build and install machines are the same release level (or I can somehow
"cross-build" 4.8.p2 from 4-STABLE?)
2.- build and install machines are the same arch (or __MAKE_CONF can
overcome this?)

tks
--
pica