DNS timeouts

Tenebrae tenebrae_BSD at niceboots.com
Wed Dec 1 04:14:58 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Kovács Péter wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have asked a similar question regarding to this issue, but
> so far no solutions were made. Please help me.
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4-STABLE box with udp.log_in_vain enabled.
> Since the computer has 3 IP’s and only one network card
> (virtual hosts) it should resolve names pretty fast (lot’s
> of services).
> So I got these error messages:
> Connection attempt to UDP FreeBSD Box:4320 from DNS:53
> Connection attempt to UDP FreeBSD Box:1363 from DNS:53
> This is because the DNS lookups are timing out. So I had set
> up a DNS server on the FreeBSD itself for the errors to stop.
>
> I just have no luck with it. The same errors come up. I just
> simply can’t understand how this time out could happen if it
> goes on localhost. And the DNS is not overloaded.
>
> I also tried to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file and add a
> „lookup file bind
> „ line but I think this is not supported in FreeBSD. At
> least it’s not in the manual and it didn’t help.
>
> What can I do? I don’t want to disable udp.log_in_vain!

Hey Peter,
I did a google search and found this thread on the freebsd-security list:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2003-April/000127.html

Does that look about right?
Crist J. Clark had a good summary at the end of the thread with what
appears to be causing it.

You don't really include any information about your DNS setup that could
be useful for troubleshooting that, though.
What DNS server/version are you running?  Bind 8 or 9 maybe?
I think what you may have been looking for was the /etc/host.conf file.
Hope this is useful.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.