What is Stable

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Aug 31 11:56:49 PDT 2004

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:51:15 +0200
> From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

> > > Is that the point at which this list becomes the correct place to ask
> > > questions about 5.X on as opposed to current ?
> >
> > One way to know without keeping track of the details of release engineering is
> > to just bear in mind that the day on which the first 5.x-STABLE release is
> > announced on the freebsd.org webpage is also the day that this list becomes
> > appropriate for 5.x questions. I figure that's a pretty safe indicator.
>
> Then where should questions about 4.x go?  I'm not upgrading yet, and
> may not be for a while (at least not for all machines).

Both 4 and 5 will be STABLE for some period of time. Sometime after 4
goes into security fixes only mode, I suppose it really should be
relegated to questions at . (Reality...V3 questions still show up on stable
from time to time and even the occasional 2.2 question.)

Today and until 5-Stable appears, I think you really, really want to put
5.x stuff on current@ so it will be seen by the right people.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)