ld-elf.so.1: Shared objects not found

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu Aug 26 08:07:34 PDT 2004

Hi!

For the past week I've been intermittently updating a
FreeBSD-4.9 to 4.10p2.

buildworld and kernel did OK and I'm now dealing with ports.

After updating the system (and I do not remember if this
also had to do with updating a port also), messages of the
type:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libz.so.1" not found

started to appear. I noticed that this file is now missing
and there is a libz.so.2 in /usr/lib/

Trying to start apache13 showed this same message. I
reinstalled apache from ports and the problem is now gone.

The same is happening now with mysql. Intriguingly mysqld
(server) is running fine but I cannot use the mysql(1)
client.

I read about /etc/libmap.conf and added lines of the type
libz.so.1	libz.so.2

That seemed to make mysql stop searching for libz.so.1 but
now it fails on libcrypto.so.1, and after adding
libcrypto.so.2 to libmap.conf now it's libnsl.so.1.

My question is then: is this the right way to do this? (i.e.
using libmap.conf) I already reinstalled both client and
server and the problem is still there.

A second question: in libmap.conf the only way to make mysql
find the corresponding shared libs is to put the entries as
'global'. Constraining them to [mysql] or
[/usr/local/bin/mysql] does not work. How should I constrain
this so that the mappings are not global and mysql gets
working?

Or perhaps it is OK to use these entries globally?

libz.so.1	libz.so.2
libcrypto.so.1	libcrypto.so.2
libnsl.so.1	libnsl.so.2

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Fernan
Fernan Aguero -  fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Phone: +54 11 4580-7255/7 ext 310, Fax: +54 11 4752-9639
Check http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan for more info.