How to find the cause of a hang

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Tue Aug 17 22:31:17 PDT 2004

On 14. Aug 2004, at 22:50, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Eirik Øverby wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm currently experiencing frequent (about once per week) hangs of a
>> server that is about 1500 kilometers away from me. I have a serial
>> cable on the box, and using minicom on the neighbor box I am now in
>> the kernel debugger - but I'm at a complete loss as to what to do to
>> figure out what is, in fact, wrong.
>> Calling panic or boot doesn't work - it just stops at "syncing
>> disks..." and never actually reboots. I suspect something fishy going
>> on with disk I/O, but I can't be certain of that.
>> The box responds to ping - until I call panic or boot - but no other
>> services are working.
>
> try capture a stack trace "tr"

Looks like the box is "idle"

> if you have KTR enabled do "show ktr"

This is 4.x... As my follow-up msg on current@ indicated (yes i posted
to the wrong list initially ;)

> do "ps"

An insane number of cron processes.. Is it trying to run scheduled jobs
and fails because of the hang?

> do show pcpu
> show witness
> show locks

No workie on 4.x...

> if you have a dump device define..
>   call doadump

No dump device here (if disk is the problem, it would be of no use I
guess), and i get undefined symbol anyway.

> then to reboot..
>    "call cpu_reset"

Now that one is handy. ;)

> The dump will appear after the next boot in /var/crash
> if it's not big enough for a complete ram dump, symlink it to
> somewhere where there is enough room.

(See above)

> when you have all that.. let us know :-)

I have what I have. See
http://anduin.net/~ltning/debug.cap
(it is too long to include in a mail...

Got any clues for me?